Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Week to Go

Only one week until election day. In the meantime I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. A recheck for my recent surgery (see my other blog.)Tomorrow is also the fifteenth anniversary of the first date that Jen and I went on. That was all thanks to a personal ad I placed in The Stranger. We're suffering from a dearth of babysitters lately, so our plan is to have dinner at Marie Callender's with Justin in tow. Once he goes to bed we'll curl up and watch a movie at home. Ah domesticity! On Monday I have jury duty, which usually wouldn't stress me out, but I have to be in Kent at 8 a.m. and that part feeds my anxiety. Other than the drive I'm sure I'll get a lot of reading done while I'm simultaneously fulfilling my civic duty. Tuesday is the much awaited Election Day and I'm thinking that will be an all-nighter. On Wednesday I have a dentist appointment (cavity to be filled) and a doctor's appointment to check my blood pressure and whether my new medication is having the desired effect.

Today the AP published tips for relieving stress about the upcoming election. A little late aren't they? With one week to go I don't see how changing my eating habits at this point will lessen my pre-election anxiety. I have managed to refrain from talking to my parents about political issues lately and that's a big help. Otherwise I'm in the nearing the end of a really good book (José Saramago's Blindness) and I'm getting as much rest as I can to deal with the residual pain from my recent surgery. The pain of Obama losing the election on Tuesday may be a little more difficult to deal with.

And now an important message from BarackObama.com

h/t aarynbelfer.com

1 comment:

aaryn b. said...

Hope your surgery was a success and that you're okay.

Hilarious that the AP is offering survival tips late in the game. Everyone I know---and I mean everyone---is freaking out with anxiety.

Hang tough. Stay calm. But have a bottle of champagne waiting in the fridge...

(By the way, I owe you an email response. I'll get to it soon, I promise. Just got really busy and didn't have enough time to say the stuff I wanted to say.)