Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"A More Perfect Union"

I continue to be inspired by Barack Obama and his wife Michelle whenever I hear them speak. Their honesty and compassion is such a breath of fresh air after the seven years of the swagger and buffoonery contained within the persona known as George W. Bush. Obama doesn't have the nomination sewn up yet, but if he manages withstand the assaults from both the right and the Clintonistas I believe he be a president that we can all be proud of. He already has the demeanor that I would want and expect from a president. Can you picture Barack Obama doing a soft shoe routine on the steps of the White House, or spending taking 452 days of vacation within seven years? It would certainly start to reaffirm my faith in America if we as a country can manage to rise above divisiveness and political rancor to elect someone as intelligent and forthright as Barack Obama. Today Barack Obama gave a speech in Philadelphia on the issue of race in politics. It was a speech that many felt he had to make to distance himself from controversial statements made by the pastor of his church last summer. An adage I often hear and have repeated myself is that our country gets the president we deserve. It would be nice to know that we as a diverse nation finally deserve someone as decent and honorable as Barack Obama as our president.

No comments: